Sunday, July 30, 2006

Can you guess what I cannot find anymore?

Fresh Fruit!!

I realize that fruit is seasonal. But would it really kill stores to implement some kind of quality control when stocking the fruit in their displays. I am not asking for much. I do not need anything cutting edge. But for the love of Pete! Please implement something that can be trusted--like visual inspections! You know, actually looking at what is being placed on the shelves to verify that the fruit is not packed in hairy molds.

For the past two weeks I have been forced to reconsider my fresh fruit fetish and have even settled for eating (to put the best possible spin on the matter) 'mature' fruit. While I have enjoyed eating certain fungi, I do draw the line at molds.

In my despair I even tried eating canned (sic: soggy) fruits or (gasp) frozen fruit. Yes sir! There is nothing like starting the morning off with the taste of freezer burnt produce to complement that freeze-dried coffee.

So with the dawn of a new week, I will regroup and with new hope venture forth in my quest to find fresh fruit (or even edible fruit).

6 comments:

Creative-Type Dad said...

This reminds me of that one Seinfield episode where Kramer only goes to that "one" fruit stand, then gets banned.

Can't you just go somewhere else? Find a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (those places have some good stuff)

dennis said...

Tony,
I have been to three different grocery stores to date. I have also considered traveling to the locations you suggested, or even a farmer's market. But all those locations are 20-30 minutes away and I have not yet learned to plan my shopping far enough in advance to incorporate that kind of drive time...

Mama of 2 said...

I can so sympathize. It just turns my stomach when you pick up a plastic container of what are supposed to be 'fresh' strawberries or blueberries and there is several moldy varieties lurking beneath. It's just plain gross. And when you hand them to the produce person and mention the problem they look at you like 'SO'. Makes me miss my fruit market all the more.

Unknown said...

So far, I am still having good luck around these parts. I picked up some excellent mangoes, and delicious plums at Kroger yesterday. Not a mold spore anywhere in sight. Also, the blueberries have been really yummy this summer, too. Strawberries seem to be the worst for the moldy
icky stuff.

Anonymous said...

No fresh fruit? I couldn't even imagine ... I'm so spoiled with fresh fruit for much of the year! I'm so sorry ...

dennis said...

rebecca and mama g:

Can I claim to both categorically hate and be jealous of your fruit suppliers??? Can I? Puhleeze?

Mama of 2: that does it! Tomorrow I check out the capital city Farmer's Market. If it is open, I'm buying (something that nobody inside of a bar has ever heard me say...)