Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Ode to Ye 'Ole Red Onion

From the moment I uncovered you at the store
I knew you must join us at our home
and that I must have you and then have you some more

I had to possess you for you were what we needed
That you and not Comrade Radish had what I sought
that deep, gleeming, royal coat of red

Your pungent presence and sharp bite
slices made softer by frying in the pan
created a perfection that only you made right

Future meals I had planned with you in mind
But now Frustration and Futility wear on my soul
for nowhere searched did you allow me to find

Where O where my royal red onion have you fled?
Why have you spurned our passionate desires?
Will I find you before your aroma awakens the dead?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOw. Niiice Dennis. Poor missing onion...poor soul who finds (but hopefully doesn't step on) the missing onion...
~DIANA

Pageant Mom said...

LOL.

One day you'll be sitting around going "what's that SMELL....???"

Creative-Type Dad said...

A non-smelling onion?

Hannah said...

So you compose poetry when you lose groceries you know you bought?

I just swear.

Your way is definitely more cultured.

delightful-d said...

That was the best poem about a Royal Red Onion that I have read. It made my eyes water.

That Chick Over There said...

Nice!

dennis said...

oh, we found the onion! Somehow I had placed it in the freezer and soggy, thawed onion was not a menu item to be highlighted...

wayabetty said...

So poetic Dennis! Now every time I see the red onion, I'll picture you! Oh, that's scary. ;-)

dennis said...

betty: thank you!