Saturday, June 23, 2007

House Keeping

We would like to upgrade our house in the near/distant future. Actually our initial intent was to have already upgraded (the 3-year plan has become the 8-year plan). In the first 3 years after we moved here, I completed many, many projects. In order to get the house in shape to sell, I will have to correct my mistakes as well as those of the former owners.

I do not want to keep working on the house. My dad finds it relaxing to tear into the plumbing and electrical guts of his house. My older brother finds peace of mind in upgrading his home's internal wiring, etc...

I tend to cuss. Loudly and often. Mind you, I can replumb, lay tile, paint, lay floor etc...(I categorically refuse to do any electric work). I cuss and drive back and forth to Home Depot. Even the most simple job can involve multiple trips. So now I have to paint, tear out and rebuild walls, hang/lay tile and change light fixtures. And that is only one bathroom.

I am not looking forward to this. If I were not married, I would probably chuck all this and move into an efficiency apartment.

Fair warning to anyone out there still living in apartments, the Mortgage is merely the TIP of the iceberg!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of in the same boat right now. You don't even feel like you're fixing up your house, you're fixing up somebody else's house.

MdG said...

In moving, I rediscovered, what I kind of already knew. I am the handywoman in the household. M. Sarge can't find a wall stud to save his life, and finds no shame in almost electrocuting himself. Me on the other hand, I have a pretty level eye and can hang shelves almost without a level, and i can fix basic carpentry issues with some nails, and wood glue. M. Sarge will put down the sod around the patio that I lay. Not that I rub it in (much).

It's not very gratifying though when Piko de G comes home and says that her friend told her that real princesses do not have muscles, or don't use tools. WHAAAA?!?! Way to empower your daughter. Or, I guess it's more proof that I'm not a real princess. Probably that and the copious dropping of the f-bomb when working.

Hannah said...

We've just been through this and the most frustrating thing about fixing up your house to sell is that feeling of "why didn't I do this when I was actually planning on living here?"

And I am the handyperson in our house, too - handsome hubby is just all thumbs when it comes to reno, although he is improving - when we were painting our last house and I brought out rollers, he looked very confused and said...

"But I thought you painted with a brush"?

God, give me strength. And good luck with the renos.

wayabetty said...

Handy man I see, your wife is one lucky lady! The only thing that my hubbie is handy with is with his laptop.

dennis said...

mark: and I just got my marching orders...starting this weekend I have to reaquaint myself with ye ol' hammer

mdg & hannah & Betty: LOL so you married the 'modern' man??? which is fine because the last time I worked on a car they were not 'fuel injected' and computers were our Apple IIe

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many times I've told the Husband that I just want to SELL our house. I just can't take another project!!!