Monday, November 06, 2006

Something Humorous for Mother of 2

As we all know, I foolishly made a boast and of course made an even bigger mistake of forgetting this incident in rushing pell-mell to make this boast.

Yes, we here at the Playground are finding ourselves in the uncomfortable and rare occasion of having to admit our fallibility.

What, you might ask, what prompts this astounding admission? Weeell, it all began with my preparations for wife.imp's departure. I knew that with her gone, I would have to have a menu for the week. So, I decided on a pot roast on Sunday.

I do pot roasts very well. In fact, my pot roasts are only bested by my 'world-famous' sausage stuffing. So, now that we have established that this 'goof' is food related and that I cook a mean roast, what was the problem?

I blame the garlic.

Yes, I love me some garlic. Garlic, pepper and onions. If ever a seasoning was a divine gift to humanity, Garlic was the gift. If you have not noticed garlic has a strong presence. It does not merely announce itself, it demands an accounting.

So, after infusing (yes, I said infusing, get over it!) the roast with this divine presence, I loaded up the slow cooker and wandered out of the room, certain that the week was kicked off in the proper manner. With Good Food!

In my defense, the power cord from the slow cooker is white. So is the cord from our rice cooker. So, after lovingly (yes, I said lovingly, get over it!) preparing the roast and plugging in the rice cooker, I went back to puttering around the house.

Now, one might ask, 'Did he not notice the food was not cooking? Did he not realize that the imps did not prefer raw meat at dinner?'

Well, yes, I knew this. However the scent of garlic followed me throughout the house and at times seemed to grow stronger. Hence, I believed the roast was cooking and that we would be eating on schedule!

Imagine my surprise/chagrin when I went to test the meat/veggies and found everything sitting uncooked, warmed merely to room temperature.

So, what meal did the imps start the week off with?

Nutella and Jam, followed with 'Cookies and Cream' ice-cream.

Yummie!!

photo cribbed from 'haverchuk.blogspot.com'

8 comments:

dennis said...

Could be worse. your hubby could reek of onions or curry(sp?) all weekend...

Mama of 2 said...

Hey with a dinner like that your imps will never want mom to come home. I am talking about the ice cream you know.

But the roast sounded wonderful. I would like the recipe.

Diana said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It looked good...and sounded good if only in theory.
You tried, Dennis, you tried.

Radioactive Tori said...

My husband would have started with something easy. Your dinner sounded great if only you had plugged it in!

dennis said...

Diana: It sucked! I have been cooking since I was 10. I used to have to submit a menu (appetiser, main course and dessert) to mom at least once a week. To screw up the plugs is a blow to my ego...

RG: Believe it or not, I usually find pot roasts to be easy. I've been cooking them off an on since I was 10. Mixing up the plugs was baaaaad!
Good thing wife.imp is overseas and will not hear of this...

Diana said...

You know I did that (screwing up the plugs) with my toaster and microwave. For some reason their plugs were the same. And I wondered why the toast wasn't toasting....
DUH!
So don't feel bad...
but I do wish there were a way for me to tell the wife!

Diana said...

(for the record I live in a very old house and there is only ONE plug in my kitchen, so nothing can ever stay plugged in!)

mzn said...

Haverchuk here. Glad you liked my photo. It came from this entry.

That is a sad story about your dinner. I hope you plugged in the crock pot and ate the meat the next day. These dishes tend to taste better a day or two after cooking anyway.