Sunday, August 06, 2006

B.IMP has a meltdown

After returning from my aunt & uncle's 40th wedding anniversary (g.imp congratulated my aunt on her 40th birthday), we started to settle in for the night.

The imps were bathed and allowed to play for a few minutes until bedtime. Smooth sailing. I was talking with my Elder Sib (ES) and who was on the verge of going to bed when IT happened.

B.imp LOST. IT.

Completely and utterly. Last night's tantrum achieved levels g.imp would be jealous of and also cost b.imp some valuable toys.

B.imp's problem centered on the fact that he did not want to put away his toys, his beloved cars and trucks. After recognizing that b.imp fundamentally could not put away the toys (this was his stance v. 'THE MAN'), we tried to help. Even handed him the toys and set the toy box beside him. All he had to do was move his hand 6" and drop toy.

NOT A CHANCE WHITE BOY

Left with no recourse, as this is not the time to open Pandora's 'Box o'Negotiation' with a two-year-old, we unleashed upon b.imp the dreaded 'Trash Bag o'Donation', Into which toys disappear never to be seen again (except at the local donation center).

More than 1/2 of his beloved cars/trucks shall soon be arriving at new homes in the forthcoming weeks.

All of this was witnessed by ES and as ES has no children at home (In fact, when he married the imps he adopted were on their way into junior high school) and ES has never experienced the joys of raising toddlers! His expression could best be described as:

8 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA! I am familiar with explosive nuclear meltdowns. And I recall that same look on my (then) childless brother-in-law's face. He has a 5 year old now though, and I swear I have seen her pitch such tantrums that I was sitting back waiting for her head to start spinning around. I was verging on calling an Exorcist, in fact.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that's harsh! The toys disappear...forever? I bet it makes quite an impression though.

And really, I'm not judging. I may have to resort to such measures with CJ, who is already showing signs of being much more stubborn than her big sister. I'll keep this strategy in mind.

dennis said...

Rebecca: It is always nice to have a childless friend/relative around just to see that those cute imps are not always the perfect picture of happiness and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!

mothergoosemouse: Harsh, yes. But it worked with g.imp when she was this age. I have never had to ask her more than twice at any point since then to clean up. In fact, b.imp is right now folding clothes and helping put toys away (I did not even ask). Nor has he even mentioned the toys that were bagged last night.

Mama of 2 said...

Well if my own Little Man doesn't start opening his ears and letting my words sink deep into his brain we will be performing the same trash bag ritual at our house too.

Anonymous said...

This was his stance v. 'THE MAN'

lololololol....hilarious!

I've had to throw down with the old "Trash Bag o'Donation" and it used to work but now it just elicits a full-blown tantrum *sigh*

Creative-Type Dad said...

I'm liking the "trash Bag o'Donation" idea...

I'll have to remember that one.

Diana said...

yeeeeaaah I think we're going to need that bag...

dennis said...

Tony: I am really beginning to not envy the life of your child...first the child prison and now my 'Trash Bag o'Donation'...

I bet that kid has you wrapped around the proverbial 'Little Finger'!!!


Diana & Mama of 2: You can bet when I pick up a trash bag now, I have 2 little pairs of eyes following my every move!

Izzy: I am beginning to think that we are in the midst of 18+ years of 'social struggle' with the imps. The Better1/2 and I cannot wait to turn the little ones loose on society!