Friday, August 25, 2006

So you really want to know about me?

So tell me about yourself. I am totally interested in learning about you...

In my dreams the speaker is a ravishing redhead with a lilting Irish accent (yes I fell in love with Maureen O'Hara years ago. Oddly enough I have only sat through two of her movies, "The Quiet Man" and "McClintock") .

In this dream I have no problem telling all. After all, as the song says, '...I wanna talk about me...'

But in reality, I can sometimes make clams appear to be more outgoing than Jim Carrey by comparison. In fact, I roomed with my younger sib in college and we could go days without saying word one to each other AND neither of us was upset with the other.

I know what you are thinking. Well, I actually do not but in my world it runs along the following:
'Really! You are an introvert? But you are so handsome and strong and smart! I am totally interested in learning about you and I so want you to tell me everything...'

Of course in this world you would also be a ravishing red-head...

Anyway when the MEME first came to my attention, I felt a burning sensation in the back of my head, somewhere in the rusted corroded region of my memories when I used to be outgoing. After the smoke cleared, I had an epiphony:

'Cool!' I said. 'I can do this! This should be fun!'

Then I found out there are only about 500 versions of these floating around and everybody has already done them--ages ago.

Plus, IF I am going to spend 2-3 hours filling out questionnaire with personal information, I had better be in line for a cushy government job or participating on a Game Show (Meredith Vieira, I am ready for the hot seat on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire')

The thing is, MEME madness has left me. The fever is gone. The luster is tarnished.
So, why am I receiving 4 page lists in my emails from my friends?

I'd like to think that if they had a burning question about my life they could pick up the phone and ask...

I mean, just because I lost my phone book of personal numbers and cannot call anyone to let them know what has happened, they should still have my numbers -- right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do memes if I'm specifically tagged, but I rarely tag others. Not because I don't want to know about others, but because I don't want to presume to tell them what they should write about. Silly, I know.

But the e-mails? Where you're supposed to answer a zillion questions and "reply all", plus send it to everyone in your address book? No way.

dennis said...

MGM: Well said. Well spoken.