Thursday, August 24, 2006

Small Spaces and angry Imps


Thinking back to the grand scheme this a.m. I have to ask myself, 'What are you, stoopid?'

I have to wonder at the inspiration that possessed my to believe taking the imps to a drive-thru oil change place, where we sat in the car while they worked, was a wonderful idea. I know the benefits are obvious:
1- they are in an enclosed area and can be easily controlled
2- 15 minutes or less, no sweat (they'll just sit back there calmly drinking their choc shakes)
3- What can possibly go wrong?


Now we will touch on a little bit of reality.

1- major line in the drive-thru lanes forces me to rearrange my schedule
2- the imps finish their shakes loooong before we go back and get in line
3- did you know these 'change your oil while you wait' places do other work as well? Work like fixing windshield cracks and chips. I did not know this!
4- having imps in enclosed spaces while hyped on sugar - with absolutely nothing to distract them can be hazardous to your health. Yes I mean you mister oil lube guy who is making me wait in line, in a hot car with screaming kids. Put down the clipboard and come on over here. I have something to show you!!
5- By all means take as much time as you want on working on our car. I'll just hold the screaming and thrashing boy.imp on my lap. Please ignore the occasional blast of the horn while you are under the hood. I'll be able to listen to your complaints as soon as the little one works out his own issues...

Things I found out that happened while I was in the car and did not notice:
1- girl.imp and boy.imp got my cell phone and made phone calls. They left messages with both the wife.imp and one of her co-workers. They called the co-worker because the wife.imp's message told them to call and gave them the number to dial.
2- my cell phone has games. Specifically bowling.
3- girl.imp currently holds the high score.

6 comments:

Diana said...

LOL!
This is why I'm grateful to have my honey. He changes my oil at home. That doesn't mean the boy doesn't get all hyper; he actually wants to be outside helping Daddy...it's funny. but it's better than being in a car...I feel so sorry for you.
*stifling giggles again*

Creative-Type Dad said...

Wow! They let you sit in the car. How cool is that?

Just like those old car washes where you got to scream and yell when the rollers came out.

dennis said...

diana: we have priced it out and it is very comparable, plus our driveway is at too much an angle to attempt crawling under with any degree of safety (short of a winch and 1/4" steel cables.

tony: Pretty Damn Cool. This is the only one in the city that I know of and I had to drive 20 minutes to get there!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you actually stayed in line, waited, and went through with it! I would've never made it!

Mama of 2 said...

Please ignore the occasional blast of the horn while you are under the hood. I'll be able to listen to your complaints as soon as the little one works out his own issues...

Oh Dennis...that was priceless. So much so I nearly blew Diet Pepsi out of my nose as I laughed so hard.
I could certainly picture the tech smacking his head on the propped up hood as b.imp intermittently blew the horn.

Thanks for the wonderful laugh and also for the great name ideas for my potential business venture.

dennis said...

Mama: Glad to help. Please keep us here at the playground updated on how the biz is doing.